Sarah Atkins, Ph.D. - Postdoctoral Fellow
Dr. Atkins serves children, families, adults, and couples. Her therapeutic approach is grounded in psychodynamic theory and incorporates aspects of family systems, emotion-focused, and cognitive behavioral theories. At the heart of Dr. Atkins’ work is the belief that a trusting, empathic, and safe therapeutic relationship serves as the basis for clients to explore their concerns, discover important insights, and experience meaningful growth and change. Dr. Atkins is passionate about helping clients recognize and utilize their strengths as they take steps toward their counseling goals.
Over the course of her training, Dr. Atkins has had the opportunity to work with clients from diverse backgrounds in a variety of settings including, community mental health clinics, a children’s hospital, and college counseling centers. She has worked with clients who have experienced a wide range of symptoms and specializes in helping clients struggling with anxiety, depression, relationship concerns, LGBTQ identity concerns, life transitions, and recovery from abuse or trauma.
Dr. Atkins received her Bachelor’s degree in Psychology with a Minor in Sport Psychology from the University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire. She earned her Master’s and Doctoral degrees in Counseling Psychology with an Emphasis in Child and Family Therapy at the University of North Texas. Dr. Atkins completed her APA-Accredited Pre-Doctoral Internship at the University of Texas at Dallas Student Counseling Center. She has also received specialized training in working with survivors of trauma.
- Ph.D. – University of North Texas
- M.S. – University of North Texas
- B.S. – University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire
- University of Texas at Dallas Student Counseling Center – Richardson, TX
- A Home Within Dallas Chapter – Dallas, TX
- Children’s Hospital Rees-Jones Center for Foster Care Excellence – Dallas, TX
- University of North Texas Counseling and Testing Services – Denton, TX
- Denton County Friends of the Family – Denton, TX
- UNT’s Psychology Clinic – Denton, TX