Ia Xiong, Ph.D. - Postdoctoral Fellow
Dr. Xiong works with adults, couples, and adolescents from a supportive, encouraging, and nonjudgmental stance. She takes a multicultural, strength-based approach in understanding the unique circumstances and makeup of an individual. She focuses on building a trusting therapeutic relationship in order to create a safe space to explore and work through difficult problems. She is passionate about helping people visualize positive life changes and helping them achieve their goals.
Dr. Xiong specializes in depression, anxiety, trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder. In addition, she has experience in identity issues (including ethnic, racial, gender, and LGBTQ issues), relationship issues, anger management, chronic pain, career development, adjustment problems, and life transitions.
Dr. Xiong views therapy as collaborative and tailors treatment to the specific needs of the individual or couple. She is trained in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, which focuses on connecting with the present moment and taking action in the direction of one's most important values. In addition, she utilizes mindfulness-based interventions for stress reduction as well as trauma-focused treatments such as Prolonged Exposure Therapy and Cognitive Processing Therapy.
- Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology - University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
- B.A. in Psychology - Eastern Washington University
- Spark M.Matsunaga VA Medical Center - Honolulu, HI
- St. Rose Youth & Family Center - Milwaukee, WI
- Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center - Milwaukee, WI
- Lutheran Social Services - Milwaukee, WI
- Social Development Comissoon - Milwaukee, WI